The USC Global Health Case Competition brings together teams of students from all disciplines to tackle critical global health challenges. Five days after receiving the case, students must propose realistic, innovative solutions before a panel of expert judges, including members of the partnering organization the case was based on. For this year’s case, we are partnering with the World Health Organization and International Telecommunication Union. The winning team will represent USC at the International Emory Global Health Case Competition in Atlanta, GA, March 28-29, 2014.
2014 USC Global Health Case Competition
Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013 | Case Competition Kickoff Event - 5pm, Location: Mudd Hall Courtyard, UPC - RSVP
Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014 | Individual Registration Deadline
Friday, Jan. 17, 2014 | Team-Building Networking Event - 5pm, Location: TBA - RSVP
Friday, Jan. 24, 2014 | Team Registration Deadline
Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 | Rules and Guidelines Distributed
Monday, Feb. 3, 2014 | Case Release Date
Friday, Feb. 7, 2014 | USC Case Competition | Location: TBA
March 28-29, 2014 | Emory International Case Competition
- Teams must comprise 5 members from at least 3 USC schools. All graduate and undergrad students are eligible!
- Form your own team OR register as an individual (by Jan. 15) and attend the networking event to meet other participants who want to form teams.
- Register your team by Jan. 24.
- All team members must be prepared to spend the whole day at the competition.
- Kickoff Event: Dec. 5. Meet the organizers, speak to alumni competitors and learn about the competition!
- Networking Event: Jan. 17. Meet other participants!
- Rules and guidelines will be released Feb. 1.
- The case will be released Feb. 3. Teams have until the day of the competition, Feb. 7, to work on it.
- Teams are encouraged to use a variety of sources: library, web, course notes, textbooks, etc.
- Creativity, innovation, clarity, quantitative and qualitative analysis, implementation strategies, and delivery will all be evaluated.
- Analysis and recommendations should be presented in Microsoft PowerPoint or similar presentation software.
- Where: Exciting new venue TBA! Shuttle to and from provided.
- When: Be prepared to spend the entire day with us!
- Check-in: 10:00am
- First Round: 11:00am-2:00pm
- Reception: 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Finalist Round: 4:00pm-5:00pm
- Winner’s Announced: 5:30pm
- Judges: Judges will include USC faculty and global experts.
- Each team will have a total of 25 minutes:
- 15 minutes to present analysis and recommendations
- 10 minutes for Q&A with judges
- All students must be available to travel to Emory University in Atlanta, GA, for the international competition March 28-29.
DOWNLOAD: Individual/Team Registration Form [DOC] | Case Competition Information Sheet [PDF]
2013 Global Health Case Competition:
2012 Global Health Case Competition: