Daniel Tarantola, MD
Adjunct Professor of Research, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Contact information available upon request.
Daniel Tarantola has occupied senior leadership positions in large-scale programs led by the World Health Organization, including the eradication of smallpox; expanded immunization; control of diarrheal diseases and acute respiratory infections; and the Global Program on HIV/AIDS. His career has alternated between academic and leadership positions with the WHO. He was an instructor at the Harvard School of Public Health through the 1990s, then a senior policy advisor to the WHO director general and director of the WHO Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals; and later a professor of health and human rights at the University of New South Wales School of Public Health and Community Medicine in Sydney, Australia.
His work primarily focuses on immunization, HIV/AIDS and the application of human rights principles, norms and standards to public health policy and programs. Now an independent consultant based in France, Tarantola engages in research, teaching and publications on a variety of themes, devoting much of his time to the evaluation and strategic planning of global and international health ventures. He works closely with the Program on Global Health & Human Rights at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health.
- February 4, 2020 – Summer 2020 Immersion Courses in Geneva and Costa Rica Information Session (1/24/2020)
- Upgrade needed for universities’ workplace wellness programs, new APRU survey shows (1/14/2020)
- February 12, 2020 – Issues to consider in implementing global health programs (12/20/2019)
- January 30, 2020 – Structural racism & the people’s health: history & context matters (12/19/2019)
- Reflections on 25 Years of Health and Human Rights: History, Context, and the Need for Strategic Action (12/11/2019)
- Understanding perspectives and lived experiences of at-risk Taiwanese teenage boys through photovoice (12/9/2019)
- Social Media Platforms Help Promote Human Trafficking (12/5/2019)
- A sexual and reproductive health and rights journey: from Cairo to the present (11/11/2019)
- Sofia Gruskin discusses SDG work with the City of Los Angeles at NASPAA Annual Conference (11/7/2019)
- Teledermatology: Meeting the Need for Specialized Care in Rural Haiti (11/5/2019)