Daniel Tarantola, MD
Adjunct Professor of Research, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Contact information available upon request.
Daniel Tarantola has occupied senior leadership positions in large-scale programs led by the World Health Organization, including the eradication of smallpox; expanded immunization; control of diarrheal diseases and acute respiratory infections; and the Global Program on HIV/AIDS. His career has alternated between academic and leadership positions with the WHO. He was an instructor at the Harvard School of Public Health through the 1990s, then a senior policy advisor to the WHO director general and director of the WHO Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals; and later a professor of health and human rights at the University of New South Wales School of Public Health and Community Medicine in Sydney, Australia.
His work primarily focuses on immunization, HIV/AIDS and the application of human rights principles, norms and standards to public health policy and programs. Now an independent consultant based in France, Tarantola engages in research, teaching and publications on a variety of themes, devoting much of his time to the evaluation and strategic planning of global and international health ventures. He works closely with the Program on Global Health & Human Rights at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health.
- The Need for Human Rights in this Global Pandemic (6/3/2020)
- APRU Global Health Held an Insightful Webinar on Bioethics and COVID-19 (6/2/2020)
- A Global Conversation in a Difficult Time (3/24/2020)
- Present IIGH and UNDP work reflects the long-term impacts of global collaboration (3/20/2020)
- USC IIGH Engages in Partnership Building in Kenya (3/20/2020)
- Due to Covid 19 mandates by USC, Today’s Event has been cancelled – March 11, 2020 – Accessing Health Care in South Africa – What Does Inequality Look Like? (3/4/2020)
- Oral HIV Self-Testing for Men Who Have Sex with Men in Brazil (3/4/2020)
- Twenty five years after the Beijing Declaration we need to reaffirm that women’s rights are human rights (3/3/2020)
- Localizing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in the City of Los Angeles (2/24/2020)
- Social, Economic, and Political Events Affect Gender Equity in China, Nepal, and Nicaragua: A Matched, Interrupted Time-Series Study (2/15/2020)