Daniel Tarantola, MD
Adjunct Professor of Research, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Contact information available upon request.
Daniel Tarantola has occupied senior leadership positions in large-scale programs led by the World Health Organization, including the eradication of smallpox; expanded immunization; control of diarrheal diseases and acute respiratory infections; and the Global Program on HIV/AIDS. His career has alternated between academic and leadership positions with the WHO. He was an instructor at the Harvard School of Public Health through the 1990s, then a senior policy advisor to the WHO director general and director of the WHO Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals; and later a professor of health and human rights at the University of New South Wales School of Public Health and Community Medicine in Sydney, Australia.
His work primarily focuses on immunization, HIV/AIDS and the application of human rights principles, norms and standards to public health policy and programs. Now an independent consultant based in France, Tarantola engages in research, teaching and publications on a variety of themes, devoting much of his time to the evaluation and strategic planning of global and international health ventures. He works closely with the Program on Global Health & Human Rights at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health.
- Global Health and Human Rights under the New Administration: Steps to Set Priorities for our Collective Agenda (11/20/2020)
- USC and IIGH Amref Health Africa – An Inside Look at Our Evolving Partnership (9/15/2020)
- November 2, 2020 12:00 PM, PDT- What Will it Take to Distribute a COVID-19 Vaccine in the U.S? (10/22/2020)
- October 28, 2020 – Geographic Thinking and GIS for Global Health (10/20/2020)
- This Sacred Earth & The Climate Crisis: What’s Real and What We Can Do (10/12/2020)
- Self-care and Health: The Interplay of Technologies, Ethics, and Human Rights – Are We Going Back to the Future, or is it a Whole New World? (9/24/2020)
- HIV Recency Testing: Should Results be Disclosed to Individuals Tested? (9/14/2020)
- Global Health and Human Rights for a Postpandemic World (9/12/2020)
- The SDG Leadership Academy: Students And the City of Los Angeles Work Towards A Sustainable Future (9/11/2020)
- Between Progress and Backlash: Protecting Sexual Rights and Reproductive Rights (9/10/2020)