Daniel Tarantola, MD
Adjunct Professor of Research, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Contact information available upon request.
Daniel Tarantola has occupied senior leadership positions in large-scale programs led by the World Health Organization, including the eradication of smallpox; expanded immunization; control of diarrheal diseases and acute respiratory infections; and the Global Program on HIV/AIDS. His career has alternated between academic and leadership positions with the WHO. He was an instructor at the Harvard School of Public Health through the 1990s, then a senior policy advisor to the WHO director general and director of the WHO Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals; and later a professor of health and human rights at the University of New South Wales School of Public Health and Community Medicine in Sydney, Australia.
His work primarily focuses on immunization, HIV/AIDS and the application of human rights principles, norms and standards to public health policy and programs. Now an independent consultant based in France, Tarantola engages in research, teaching and publications on a variety of themes, devoting much of his time to the evaluation and strategic planning of global and international health ventures. He works closely with the Program on Global Health & Human Rights at the USC Institute for Global Health.
- Field work commences for Global Fund project in Ghana, Indonesia (8/2/2017)
- Africa Regional HIV Grant Evaluation Update: Interviews in Cote D’Ivoire, findings presented in South Africa (10/5/2016)
- Non-communicable diseases and human rights: Global synergies, gaps and opportunities (4/18/2016)
- 04/13/16 – Global Health Choices: Disease Eradication, Elimination, Control or Neglect? (3/2/2016)
- Health and Human Rights: Overview (2/9/2016)
- Daniel Tarantola joins GHHR as Adjunct Professor of Research (9/4/2015)
- Searching for Justice and Health (8/1/2015)
- Noncommunicable Diseases and Human Rights: A Promising Synergy (5/1/2014)
- Health and Human Rights in a Changing World (1/1/2013)
- “Using Indicators to Determine the Contribution of Human Rights to Public Health Efforts,” in Health and Human Rights in a Changing World (1/1/2013)