Below are a few selected online global health courses USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health faculty teach and/or facilitate.
Global Health LIVE!
Global Health LIVE! is an innovative graduate seminar for graduate students that was co-designed by Professors Terry Schmidt (from University of California, Irvine), Shubha Kumar (University of Southern California) and Mellissa Withers (University of Southern California). First offered in 2015, the course extends global health theory to practice. At least three universities (approximately 40-50 students) participate in the course. Universities sign on simultaneously once a week for two hours over 10 weeks through a web-based platform. These live sessions provide a space for students to interact with each other and their instructors, as well as with prominent weekly guest speakers—high-ranking academic, government and non-profit organization leaders and researchers from around the world. The guest speakers present lectures and discuss professional challenges and successes they have faced in their global health careers. Learn more »
Ethical Issues in Global Health
First offered in 2016, this online global health ethics course taught by Drs. Shubha Kumar and Mellissa Withers brings universities around the world together for a virtual classroom experience in global health ethics. Students participate simultaneously each week for approximately 10 weeks. Two weeks of introductory lectures, both pre-recorded and live, teach the students core ethics principles. Then, through online trainings, movies, guest lectures and social media, they learn to apply these principles to real-world cases involving such contentious topics as organ transplantation, clinical trials in developing countries, assisted reproductive technologies and more.
- Drones Course Ignites Participant’s Passion for Global Health (9/1/2021)
- Interested in learning how drones are used in global health? (5/20/2021)
- Drones course returns in June (1/31/2019)
- Drones that save lives? Meet humanitarian aid’s newest tool (6/6/2018)
- New online certificate course explores drones’ role in global health (4/26/2018)
- Global health courses go global, live (8/16/2017)
- New global health courses commence online—and around the world (9/1/2016)