USC is collaborating with Green Cross Switzerland to provide a new a practicum site for Master of Public Health candidates.
Green Cross Switzerland is a nonprofit organization that facilitates overcoming consequential damages caused by industrial and military disasters and the clean up of contaminated sites from the period of the Cold War. Central issues are the improvement of the living quality of people affected by chemical, radioactive and other types of contamination, as well as the promotion of a sustainable development in the spirit of cooperation instead of confrontation.
USC is collaborating with Green Cross Switzerland as a practicum site for MPH students. This is a great opportunity to work directly with an international organization on global health projects. The program is seeking two USC MPH students to fill the following positions:
- One student will be based at USC, but may travel to Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, and/or Japan. This internship time frame is 300 hours that can be completed over the course of two consecutive semesters.
- One student will be based at Green Cross Switzerland in Zurich, and may also travel to Chernobyl/Fukushima affected areas.
The internship time frame is 300 hours that can be completed over one semester.
- Support research efforts, including conducting literature reviews and data abstraction
- Write and prepare reports
- Communicate with local researchers in Chernobyl/Fukushima affected areas via email or by phone
- Support fund-raising activities
- Conduct scientific and applied activities, including research on the health consequences of uranium mining
- Green Cross will cover: travel costs to Chernobyl affected areas
- Student will cover: costs for visas and other paperwork needed to travel abroad, costs for vaccination for travel abroad
- Green Cross will cover: accommodation costs (as long as the costs aren’t higher than the cost of travel for USC-based student), transportation costs during trips to Chernobyl/Fukushima affected areas
- Student will cover: airfare costs, costs for visas and other paperwork needed to travel abroad, costs for vaccination for travel abroad, food expenses
- Ability to work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other tools (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel; statistical software)
- Flexible, dependable, and detail-oriented
- Reliable transportation
- Excellent personal, telephone, and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel (i.e., outside the US to Zurich and/or Chernobyl/Fukushima affected areas)
- Ability to obtain documents for international travel (i.e., valid passport, visas)
- Bilingual in Russian preferred, but not required
To be considered for these positions, send your resume and cover letter (indicating the position in which you are interested) to email@example.com.