- This event has passed.
The WHO Safe Abortion Guidelines: Current Use and Effectiveness Locally and Globally
November 29 @ 9:00 am - 10:15 am
The USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO) Department of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Research, Human Reproduction Programme invites you to join us for “The WHO Safe Abortion Guidelines: Current Use and Effectiveness Locally and Globally” on Wednesday, November 29 at 9:00 am PT/6:00 pm CET.
Framed by the WHO abortion guidelines and family planning and competency standards, this one-hour and 15-minute virtual panel brings together clinicians, civil servants, implementers, and lawyers focusing on the provision of abortion services globally, in India and here in California. The discussion will consider the realities of abortion provision in our current moment, with attention to the diverse applications and utility of these standards, and explore existing and potential linkages with current policy and practice.
Panelists for the discussion include:
· Antonella Lavelanet, Medical Officer, Department of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Research (includes HRP), World Health Organization
· Brian Nguyen, Program Director, Fellowship in Complex Family Planning and Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
· K Aparna Sharma, Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute Of Medical Sciences
· Priya Karna, Technical Officer, Reproductive Health and Adolescent Health, World Health Organization Country Office for India
· Ruth Dawson, Legislative Attorney, ACLU California Action and Advisory Board member, California Abortion Alliance
· Ulrika Rehnström Loi, Technical Officer, Department of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Research (includes HRP), World Health Organization
The dialogue will be moderated by IIGH Director Sofia Gruskin.
The webinar is hosted by the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health and the WHO Department of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Research, Human Reproduction Programme.
Please join us on Wednesday, November 29 at 9:00 am PT/6:00 pm CET.
If you’re interested in learning more before the event, please refer to these links:
· WHO Abortion Guidelines and Family Planning and Competency standards (Link)
· WHO Safe Abortion Values, Evidence and Right/Respect (SAVER) (Link)
· SCOPE: Surveillance of COVID-19 in pregnancy- results of a multicentric ambispective case-control study on clinical presentation and maternal outcomes in India between April to November 2020 (Link)