World Health Day LA 2012: Going for the Gold took place Saturday, April 7, 2012, at the Los Angeles Expo Center, at the end of the 2012 Global health Awareness Week. In honor of the 2012 Olympic games, the event featured sports stations such as soccer, archery, dancing, football and more. A simultaneous health and screenings fair took place alongside the activities.
In partnership with SoCal Olympians and Paralympians, the largest and oldest organization of Olympic athletes in the United States, World Health Day LA 2012 kicked off “Walk to London in 2012,” the U.S. Olympians Association’s ceremonial walk to raise awareness of the Olympics and to draw attention to obesity. Hundreds of Angelenos and volunteers joined Olympians for a walk around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum; the ceremony then continued across the nation until the London Olympics Games began July 29.
- Going for the Gold at World Health Day LA (4/13/2012)
- World Health Day LA Kicks off National Olympics Campain (3/27/2012)
- Examiner.com: “Slideshow: World Health Day Los Angeles ‘Going for the Gold'” (4/08/12)
- Children Sports International: “World Health Day LA 2012: ‘Going for the Gold'” (4/08/12)
- Examiner.com: “World Health Day LA: Going for Gold” (4/05/12)
- The Weekly: “USC joins World Health Day on April 7 at Los Angeles Expo Center” [PDF] (3/23/12)
- On Central: “LA Coliseum to kick off Olympics with torch walk, health fair” [PDF screenshot—link no longer available] (3/21/12)