Laura Ferguson, PhD, SM, MA
Laura Ferguson, PhD, SM, MA
Director, Program on Global Health & Human Rights
Assistant Professor of Preventive Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Associate Editor, Reproductive Health Matters
Location: SSB 318H
Telephone: (323) 442-7235
Laura Ferguson is an assistant professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California and the director of the Program on Global Health & Human Rights at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health.
Her research focuses on understanding and addressing health system and societal factors affecting the uptake of health services, and developing the evidence base of how attention to human rights can improve health outcomes. She collaborates with a range of United Nations agencies as well as foundations, universities and non-governmental organizations in different countries. She has spent extended periods of time in low-income countries, primarily sub-Saharan Africa, collaborating with partners, helping to build the capacity of her local colleagues and designing and managing research and projects to tackle a range of issues including HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health and child health.
She is also an associate editor for the journal Reproductive Health Matters.
Ferguson earned her SM in population and international health from the Harvard University School of Public Health and her PhD from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- View Program on Global Health & Human Rights publications »
- View Program on Global Health & Human Rights projects »
- Download full-size photo [JPG] »
- Migration, Health and Environmental Exposure: IIGH at the 2019 Consortium of Universities for Global Health (4/16/2019)
- Sex work-related stigma: Experiential, symbolic and structural forms in the health systems of Delhi, India (2/5/2019)
- We are not infertile’: challenges and limitations faced by women in same-sex relationships when seeking conception services in São Paulo, Brazil (1/19/2019)
- The politics of an evidence-based approach to realizing sexual and reproductive health and rights (12/20/2018)
- Sexual Health & Human Rights Collection in Celebration of the UDHR (12/12/2018)
- Celebrating the 70th anniversary of the UDHR, celebrating sexual and reproductive rights (12/7/2018)
- A Meta-Narrative Literature Synthesis and Framework to Guide Future Evaluation of Legal Empowerment Interventions (12/4/2018)
- Getting Curious: How Does Global Health Affect Everything? (10/12/2018)
- “In transition: ensuring the sexual and reproductive health and rights of transgender populations.” A roundtable discussion (8/2/2018)
- 2018 International AIDS Conference Roundup (7/27/2018)