Laura Ferguson, PhD, SM, MA
Director, Program on Global Health & Human Rights
Associate Professor of Preventive Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Associate Editor, Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters
Associate Editor, American Journal of Public Health
Location: SSB 318H
Telephone: (323) 442-7235
Laura Ferguson is an assistant professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California, the director of the Program on Global Health & Human Rights and the director of research at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health.
Her research focuses on understanding and addressing health system and societal factors affecting health and the uptake of health services as well as developing the evidence base of how attention to human rights can improve health outcomes. She is interested in innovative methodologies to better understand how societal-level interventions can improve health, and she has carried out many large-scale evaluations with this aim. She collaborates with a range of United Nations agencies as well as foundations, universities and non-governmental organizations in different countries. She has spent extended periods of time living and working in low-income countries, primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. Her work focuses primarily on HIV, sexual and reproductive health and child health.
Laura Ferguson earned her SM in population and international health from the Harvard University School of Public Health and her PhD from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- “Ending Inequalities, Ending AIDS, and Preventing New Pandemics in the Americas” (8/2/2022)
- Our Latest Newsletter (8/2/2022)
- Mural unveiling in partnership with Reckitt and the Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA (8/2/2022)
- IIGH Director of Research Laura Ferguson profiled by USC News for Women’s Day 2022 (3/8/2022)
- USC leans into addressing health inequalities with the hire of global health and human rights leader Jonathan Cohen (1/11/2022)
- 2022 Global Health Case Competition (12/28/2021)
- 2022 Global Health Case Competition Virtual Mixer (12/28/2021)
- Historical Perspectives on Health Inequality in Africa: Is There Light at the End of the Tunnel? (12/20/2021)
- When Climate Change is Everything, How Do We Manage the World and Leave No One Behind? (12/20/2021)
- USC IIGH Fall Student Symposium (11/10/2021)