Laura Ferguson, PhD, SM, MA
Director, Program on Global Health & Human Rights
Assistant Professor of Preventive Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Associate Editor, Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters
Location: SSB 318H
Telephone: (323) 442-7235
Laura Ferguson is an assistant professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California, the director of the Program on Global Health & Human Rights and the director of research at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health.
Her research focuses on understanding and addressing health system and societal factors affecting health and the uptake of health services as well as developing the evidence base of how attention to human rights can improve health outcomes. She is interested in innovative methodologies to better understand how societal-level interventions can improve health, and she has carried out many large-scale evaluations with this aim. She collaborates with a range of United Nations agencies as well as foundations, universities and non-governmental organizations in different countries. She has spent extended periods of time living and working in low-income countries, primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. Her work focuses primarily on HIV, sexual and reproductive health and child health.
She is also an associate editor for the journal Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters.
Laura Ferguson earned her SM in population and international health from the Harvard University School of Public Health and her PhD from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- View Program on Global Health & Human Rights publications »
- View Program on Global Health & Human Rights projects »
- Download full-size photo [JPG] »
- A Return to the Unfamiliar: A Time to Act (11/20/2020)
- Getting to the Heart of Stigma: A Key Element of the Global AIDS Response (9/15/2020)
- Drones Course Ignites Participant’s Passion for Global Health (9/1/2021)
- Global Systemic Evidence Review: Getting to the Heart of Stigma (8/9/2021)
- HIV and the Law: Evaluating Impact (8/9/2021)
- Removing legal and structural barriers to ending AIDS by 2030: Lessons from the Global Commission on HIV and the Law (7/21/2021)
- Framing COVID-19 as a health and human rights issue (7/19/2021)
- 2021 SDG Leadership Academy begins summer project focused on a #JustRecovery post-COVID (7/19/2021)
- Laura Ferguson discusses HIV, health and human rights with the Harvard Health Policy Review (7/19/2021)
- Interested in learning how drones are used in global health? (5/20/2021)
- Does Global Health Need U.S. Leadership? (3/15/2021)
- 2021 USC IIGH Case Competition (3/2/2021)