Sofia Gruskin, JD, MIA
Sofia Gruskin, JD, MIA
Director, USC Institute for Global Health and Program on Global Health & Human Rights
Professor of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of USC
Professor of Law, USC Gould School of Law
Location: SSB 318J
Telephone: (323) 865-0826
Sofia Gruskin directs the Institute for Global Health and its Program on Global Health & Human Rights at the University of Southern California. She holds an appointment as professor of preventive medicine and serves as chief of the policy and global health division at the Keck School of Medicine of USC Department of Preventive Medicine. In addition, she is a professor of law at the USC Gould School of Law, affiliate faculty member with the department of American studies and ethnicity and Spacial Sciences Institute—both at the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences—and serves on the USC Academic Senate Executive Board. She leads the USC Law & Global Health Collaboration alongside professors Alexander Capron and Charlie Kaplan from USC Gould School of Law and USC Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, respectively.
A pioneer in global health and human rights, Gruskin’s work, which ranges from global policy to the grassroots level, has been instrumental in developing the conceptual, methodological and empirical links between health and human rights, with a focus on HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, child and adolescent health, gender-based violence, non-communicable disease and health systems. Her current partners include the World Health Organization, United Nations Development Programme, UN Population Fund, Ipas, Open Society Foundations and local organizations and universities in Brazil, India and Vietnam.
Gruskin sits on numerous boards and committees including the PEPFAR Scientific Advisory Board and the technical advisory group for the High Level Working Group on the Health and Human Rights of Women, Children and Adolescents, jointly initiated by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and WHO. She is co-coordinator of the Rights-Oriented Research and Education Network for Sexual and Reproductive Health, an international network of sexual and reproductive health and rights researchers and advocates.
In recent years Gruskin served on the board of directors for the Guttmacher Institute, the Institute of Medicine’s Committee on the Outcome and Impact Evaluation of Global HIV/AIDS Programs Implemented Under the Lantos/Hyde Act of 2008, the technical advisory Group of the UN Global Commission on HIV and the Law, and the UNAIDS Reference Group on HIV and Human Rights. Gruskin was with Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health for many years where she served as adjunct professor of global health; director of the Program on International Health and Human Rights and associate professor in the department of global health and population; and co-director of the interdepartmental Program on Women, Gender and Health.
- View Program on Global Health & Human Rights publications »
- View Program on Global Health & Human Rights projects »
- Download full-size photo [JPG] »
- Sofia Gruskin named director of USC Institute for Global Health (3/20/2018)
- 04/18/18 – Using Civic Imagination to Resist: Envisioning A Future With Sexual and Reproductive Rights (3/13/2018)
- Assessing changes in HIV-related legal and policy environments: Lessons learned from a multi-country evaluation (2/23/2018)
- 01/23/18 – Legal and Health Dimensions of Trump’s Immigration Policies: What is Happening and What We Can Do About It (1/13/2018)
- Strengthening justice systems for sexual and reproductive health in Vietnam (12/18/2017)
- Sofia Gruskin: We must follow California’s example and repeal archaic HIV laws (12/16/2017)
- A novel methodology for strengthening human rights based monitoring in public health: Family planning indicators as an illustrative example (12/8/2017)
- USC researchers develop method to monitor human rights in public health services (11/10/2017)
- Global Perspectives on Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Across the Lifecourse (11/9/2017)
- United Nations group honors USC human rights leader (11/8/2017)